How to secure an application with VirnetX One Matrix #
VirnetX One Matrix allows you to secure your applications from unauthorized access making it accessible only to those users who have been granted access via VirnetX One platform. As an example, if you currently have a web application (https://chat.example.com) that is available on the public network once you secure it with VirnetX One Matrix your application will only be accessible to those who have been granted access via VirnetX One. For everyone else it will look like the application doesn’t exists.
NOTE : It is assumed that VirnetX One Matrix will be installed on your application server you are trying to secure. However, if that is not the case please see the article ‘Securing applications with Matrix – More Examples’.
1. On the Admin Console button menu click on the APPS button.
2. Click the NEW APPLICATION button in the upper right area of the APPLICATIONS Screen.
3. On the NEW APPLICATION Screen select a template and fill out the necessary details. A template defines basic information about the application you are securing. For example, type of application, its description, protocol its using and the port number the application is listening on. For more information on templates please see ‘Access Templates’
4. In the 2nd step of the NEW APPLICATION Screen you have the option to give all users (1st option) or individual users (2nd option) in your organization access to the application.
5. If you are securing a web application, type the domain name of the application you are securing in the ‘NEW HOST NAME (CNAME)’ text box. This will ensure that after the application has been secured using VirnetX One Matrix your users will continue to access the application by going to the same domain name as before without having to modify their behavior. For applications other than web you can chose a domain that matches your need. However, make sure it doesn’t conflict with any other applications your users are currently using.
6. Click the CREATE button on the SUMMARY Screen.
NEXT STEPS screen provides further installation and configuration instructions.
Note: These last few steps do not need to be completed now but will need to be completed in order for your new application to work correctly. Also, to complete step 2 you will need a password. Make sure you click on ‘Create a new password’ and follow the steps to create a password.
7. Click the EXIT SETUP button on the NEXT STEPS Screen.
8. The APPLICATIONS Screen will show the creation of the protected app but it will also indicate whether the app is active or if there are pending actions to take. Until you finish the instructions in the previous steps your application will continue to show ‘Action Required’ status.
9. Click the 3 dots to the right of the words Action Required and choose the Show Next Steps option in order to view the previous NEXT STEPS Screen and follow the installation and configuration instructions. See step 10 of these instructions.